You may be suffering from TMJ pain. Here at Rosa Dental in midtown Sacramento, we know how to assist you in understanding the source of your pain and eliminate it. Why continue to suffer when we can help you?
This is an acronym for Temporomandibular Joints. This condition may be due to misaligned bites, arthritis, a dislocated TMJ, wear and tear of cartilage or grinding and clenching teeth. TMJ patients suffer from headaches, pain, and tension. Dr. Rosa offers therapy, mouth guards, and exercises to treat this condition.
Many factors can cause TMJ, including:
- Wear and tear on cartilage disks that pad the TMJ
- Habitual grinding and clenching of teeth leading to jaw dislocation
- A misaligned bite straining the musculature around the TMJ
- Arthritis- a patient with this in the TMJ may find it difficult to open and close his/her mouth, as well as experience swelling in the adjoining muscles, ligaments, and tissue
- A dislocated TMJ-popping or cracking noise when the jaw is closed or opened and restricted movement of the jaw, neck, and face
Treatment options may include:
BITE THERAPY: After a detailed analysis of the mouth and jaw, Dr. Rosa will determine the cause of your TMJ disorder. Then he will measure your bite pressure throughout the mouth and create a plan of dental work to correct any oral issues and provide relief of the TMJ pain.
MOUTHGUARDS: Dr. Rosa will have a mouth guard created for TMJ patients to make it more difficult to clench the jaw. These guards are typically made of soft plastic molds taken from the upper and lower teeth.
TMJ JAW EXERCISES: These are created for a patient to stop clenching teeth, correct incorrect alignment and help the patient to relax the jaw, giving the patient control over jaw muscles .Dr. Rosa will provide patients with a series of exercises to practice in front of a mirror.